Thursday 23 February 2017

Review: Chapel Wars by Lindsey Lovett

Sixteen-year-old Holly wants to remember her Grandpa forever, but she’d rather forget what he left her in his will: his wedding chapel on the Las Vegas strip. Whatever happened to gold watches, savings bonds, or some normal inheritance? 

And then there's Grandpa's letter. Not only is Holly running the business with her recently divorced parents, but she needs to make some serious money—fast. Grandpa also insists Holly reach out to Dax, the grandson of her family's mortal enemy and owner of the cheesy chapel next door. No matter how cute Dax is, Holly needs to stay focused: on her group of guy friends, her disjointed family, work, school and... Dax. No wait, not Dax. 

Holly’s chapel represents everything she’s ever loved in her past. Dax might be everything she could ever love in the future. But as for right now, there's a wedding chapel to save.




Review: I picked up this book, knowing nothing about it, having just returned from getting married in Las Vegas. All I knew was that it had an infamous Vegas wedding chapel on the front, but I knew I had to read it as soon as I read the blurb. I really did enjoy this book because of all the mentions of the places I went when I was in Las Vegas. It covers various other hotels and wedding chapels, the infamous Strip and the Neon Boneyard. I loved the descriptions of all the places and you could tell that this author has a passion for her city, just like the main character does, it really helped bring the book alive and off the page for me!

The characters in question were interesting. I don't think I loved them quite as much as I loved the setting for this one. Holly is definitely a courageous young woman and is most definitely a good advocate for strong women in YA fiction. She takes care of her family and of her siblings and works hard to respect her grandfathers wishes. I really liked the values that she stood for but I'm not sure I found her situation to be the most believable. Dax was another person who is very family loyal, I liked this quality about the main characters. He is a very loyal person in general but he has other characteristics (which I won't give away) that definitely make him the lovable rogue of the story!

The storyline, as I've mentioned above, seems a little contrived to me. I love the notion of a 17 year old trying to save a business but I'm not sure that everything Holly did in this story would actually be able to take place. The storyline did sweep me along though and I enjoyed reading about each stage of her endeavour. I think that you need to suspend your disbelief slightly going into this novel, but if you do, you will have a sweet story with some very interesting characters and definitely something that will give you a strong belief in self-improvement and self-discovery!

To get your copy, just click here!


















No comments:

Post a Comment