Wednesday 1 February 2017

Review: The Anniversary a Quick Reads Anthology Edited by Veronica Henry



Original stories from Fanny Blake, Elizabeth Buchan, Rowan Coleman, Jenny Colgan, Philippa Gregory, Matt Haig, Veronica Henry, Andy McNab, Richard Madeley and John O'Farrell - with special anniversary recipes from The Hairy Bikers.
A young woman with memories of D-Day and a life both dangerous and exciting
A father and son with a shared birthday and deeply held secrets
A single mum taxi driver, whose envy for the rich couple on their way to the Ritz soon changes
The unlikely marriage, born in the depths of war
The Tudor wife receives the ghostly message, 'Never marry a dangerous man'
An agoraphobic widower, unable to visit his wife's grave
The Elvis impersonator who finds hope for a new romance with Marilyn Monroe
The ex soldiers burdened with the consequences of one bad decision
The long-held memories of a wartime tragedy
The anniversary supper which changed the world...
THE ANNIVERSARY - a collection of the very best short fiction around.


Review: Oh I so enjoyed this collection of short stories for Quick Reads tenth anniversary! This anthology included some of my favourite authors as well as some new to me authors. That was one of the best things about this book, it gave me a chance to read something a little bit different from some of my favourite authors, or other authors I have read before, as well as introducing me to new authors and allowing me to sample what they had to offer. Every short story was a tale in itself, complete, compelling and entertaining and each story was different from the last. 

I would like to share a few of my favourites with you. I really loved Rowan Coleman's story about a father and son and their shared birthday. It contained a lot of mystery and i gasped more than once when I read this on the tube on the way home after the Quick Reads event! I also really enjoyed really Philippa Gregory's story because it concerns Tudor England and I love reading about that time period. I also really enjoyed this one because I've always fancied reading a Phillipa Gregory novel, but have felt a little intimidated so this was a nice easy introduction to her writing for me. 

There are also recipes in this Quick Read. I can't say that I've made any of them but they are certainly intriguing and I think, give the book another level, another aspect. This book would be great to read on a commute or treat yourself to a short story before bed every night. You'll get something different, yet entertaining with each one and you'll find each of them quick and easy to read-a real treat!


To grab your copy now click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment