Wednesday 2 September 2015

Review: Paper Towns by John Green

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew...


Review: I think this may be my favourite John Green novel and I am regretting leaving this until so late to read. Sweeping statement I know but I so enjoyed this novel. I felt that the characters were so well developed, I felt a real affinity with them and I can wait to some how they come across on the big screen when I se the film. The storyline of this novel was also seriously gripping,in found myself turning and turning this pages and read it in just two sittings. There is a certain element of mystery about it in some parts but this is most definitely a coming of age novel and something that you will feel yourself as you read John Green's beautiful words! 

I like the fact that this novel was written from Q's point of view because I really could identify with Q as a character. Yes, I did find myself judging him for his kind of obsessive nature when it came to Margo and the parallel's between his search for Margo and the novel Moby Dick that he is reading in class are really quite accurate but I respected the fact that a he had always been a good student and wanted to remain that way but he was torn between staying that 'ideal student' and following his heart/his friends. I thought the characters of Ben and Radar were seriously funny and I really enjoyed reading about them as much as I did Q! Margo, on the other hand, I wasn't so taken with. I felt she was a little attention seeking almost at the same time as she was trying not to be attention seeking but I thought her character worked really well as the yang to Q's ying! 

I really liked the fact that this novel was set in Orlando becaus I could picture some of the areas they were talking about and visiting and there have been so many movies that are set in 'upstate New York' that I could picture there too so I really liked the setting of this book. And of course, being written by John Green, there is some beautiful description, no matter where the setting or what the situation the character are in. As far as young adult books go, this can be enjoyed on so many levels that I am sure, no matter what the audience, any reader will be able to get something from this young or more mature. It is definitely a coming of age novel, it is funny and there are some seriously good life observations contained with tin it's pages. I so enjoyed this reading experience and now I can't wait to see the film and see it do justice to this great novel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment